Clogs are messy, odorous and irritating especially if you can’t remove them immediately. If this is your first time to deal on clogs since you moved into your home, you might find yourself screaming. The best thing to do is make a list of DIY steps to perform drain cleaning, or keep the contact number of a trusted plumbing company that can help you do the job in case of an emergency.
How you should deal with future clogs:
- Kitchen sink – This is the area where the drain often clogs. To prevent it from clogging, take out all wastes from the sink after using it. Before you wash the dishes, make sure that they are free from leftover food. Check for tiny pieces of vegetable skins that may be present in the sink. Don’t place solid wastes in your garbage disposer. For drain cleaning, pour the right amount of safe chemical solution into the drain according to manufacturer’s instruction once you notice that the water isn’t draining fast.
- Bathroom sink – This is the area that deals hardly with leftovers of toothpaste, soap, and other cleaning materials that you use everyday. Prevent future clogging by clearing the sink with these leftovers after using it. Check the sink to see if the kids are putting bits of food and paper that clog the strainer.
- Toilet bowl – Don’t wait until the bowl is clogged with waste water. You can prevent future clogs by keeping it covered against accidental dropping of soap and toys. You can consider getting a closet auger and a plunger to prepare for future clogs.
- Bathroom strainer – You can perform drain cleaning by pouring some amount of hot water into the drain to melt solid wastes. Then, pour the right amount of baking soda mixed with vinegar. After 15 minutes, get a plunger to force the water down. To deal with bits of human hair penetrating the drain, use the right chemical solution, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Do this whenever draining of water slows down.
- Make a regular inspection around your home for draining facilities to prevent future clogging.
The best way to prevent future clogs is by maintaining a routine drain cleaning to make sure that your plumbing system is functional all the time. Get the help of a reputable company that offers flat rate on materials and labor to make your life easier.