The purpose of having thermostatic mixing valves is to mix hot and cold water at a stabilized temperature. These valves will ensure you of having the right mixture of hot water without undergoing a trial and error method in adjusting the temperature which is simply a waste of water and energy. An efficient thermostatic valve is one that regulates hot and cold water inlet, and operates for pressure variations. It works for automatic management of hot and cold water admission based on a certain point shown on the handle.
How thermostatic mixing valves work
- These valves help to make system components less covered with scale like solenoid valves, tap heads and seats. This way, all the piping and equipment are ensured of a longer service life and an increased output capacity of the accumulator.
- Their mechanism can make lower energy cost savings of 30 percent as compared to an ordinary mixing valve.
- By using these valves, you can prevent thermal shock and injuries to children and elderly people. The soft skin of young children, slow reaction of the handicapped and the elderly, make them vulnerable to hot water injuries. Faulty thermostats or setting the temperatures too high can cause scalding injuries to these people.
- Under normal conditions, the temperatures of water heaters are above 55°C to prevent growth of harmful bacteria like Legionella in the supply of water. The problem is that when you set your temperatures above 43°C, children would feel the pain of hot water. In fact, if your temperature is set at 55°C, your child can get scalded in a few seconds.
- Under the new European standard (EN1717) which provides for protection against water pollution in water installations, thermostatic mixing valves must have approved check valves.
- The overall superior feature of these valves is their mixing chamber which is equipped with automatic preservation and automatic reaction features for efficient management of temperature. Once the pressure changes, the temperature inside the mixing chamber also varies, and correction is then carried out in a few seconds.
Although there may be few DIY enthusiasts who know how to deal with thermostatic mixing valves, it would be better to ask the help of an expert that offers flat rate on materials and labor to do the job, if you’re a newbie. This way, you are assured of a perfect work that would last for long, and no unwanted incident.
Source for cost savings –http://www.wattsindustries.com/images1/9/PDF/BrochureWattsThermostaticMixingValves.pdf