To get the best value for your money when shopping for cooling equipment often means getting the best HVAC contractor in the industry. But how can these contractors prove that they are the best when compared to others?
Finding quality HVAC contractors
Your first move should be to prepare a list of names to contact by conducting thorough research. Pinpoint what kind of contractor you’re looking for – either for a new equipment installation job, or for an annual maintenance routine.
- When you have the short list, contact each one of them and assess their abilities and offers.
- Narrow down your choice to at least 3.
- Evaluate their experience in the industry.
- Verify their trade license, insurance and workers’ compensation for safety reasons.
- Ask for their registration with the state and local agencies.
- Ask for verifiable references of previous clients.
- Prefer someone who conducts business in a permanent location.
- Before you sign a contract, ask a clear proposal from the contractor containing a detailed cost estimate, payment schedules, and all works to be done.
- Make sure that all government fees will be shouldered by the contractor.
What HVAC contractors can do
They can perform installation and maintenance of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning equipments, or HVAC. This includes natural gas, oil-fired and propane furnaces, ducting and air conditioning, as well as other cooling options. An expert HVAC technician can also recommend what humidifier/dehumidifier options including air filtration systems you should get.
HVAC contractors should be well-educated in sizing, which is an important factor. Proper sizing is a tedious and a time-consuming job that some contractors speed up in order to cut corners. The square footage in some parts of your home are important to take into consideration. It includes insulation quality, outdoor shading, home orientation, local climate, windows, and other factors that are needed in the heating and cooling project.
Now that you’re fully informed on what HVAC contractors can do to make your project efficient, you can proceed into signing the contract!