What is the best time to have service maintenance for your air conditioner? It should be before the unit could not function efficiently, so, you should have an ac maintenance checklist. Don’t wait for the time when you hear continuous loud sounds, decreased cooling, water leaks, only fan is running, no power in the unit, and other problems that can give you a headache on high repair cost and low quality of service.
DIY AC maintenance checklist for your reference
- Replace the filter on a monthly basis. Check with an AC maintenance person for other filters aside from the typical one.
- Get an AC technician to clean the unit thoroughly. Do this annually to prevent the growth of mold in the AC. But before doing this, put a cover at the end of the drain in the AC and after vacuuming it, take out the cover.
- Clean the AC coils regularly, but make sure to disconnect the power first in the unit. Spray the unit with an AC cleaner including the coils, and let it dry for a while. Then, rinse it with water from your garden hose.
- Aside from regular preventive HVAC maintenance stated in your ac maintenance checklist, you should also perform pre-season maintenance. This way, you can save from energy and prevent a system failure during extreme weather conditions.
- Inspect your unit for proper level of refrigerant, and adjust it if necessary.
- Check the base pan for clogged drain openings and take out obstructions if you see them.
- Inspect the fan blades and fan motor for any damage or wear, and lubricate as necessary.
- Check the compressor and tubing for any damage.
- Your ac maintenance checklist indicates that you should inspect the blower assembly, and clean it.
- Inspect the drain pan, evaporator coil, and condensate drain lines, and clean as needed.
- Monitor the air conditioning system and heat pump for right refrigerant charge
- Make adjustments if needed on the monitor gas furnace and manifold gas pressure.
- Measure the rise of temperature, and adjust the airflow as necessary.
These are only some of the works that have to be done on your AC regularly. If you notice some unusual sounds or malfunctioning of the unit, don’t perform a guess work. Consult your AC maintenance checklist, and get the help of a professional technician to inspect your unit and do what is needed. You’ll find companies that offer all in, flat rate including materials and labor at your satisfaction.