Considering that your AC condenser is found outside, it is prone to dust, pollen and other contaminants that can accumulate on the coils or fins, causing your unit to decline in efficiency. Therefore, an annual AC condenser cleaning is highly recommended to maintain the top performance of your AC.
DIY tips on cleaning the AC condenser
There is a way to determine if the AC coils are clean and if the air conditioner is operating at expected efficiency. Test the temperature and pressures of your refrigeration circuit with the use of appropriate set of gauges. In this process, however, you can’t do it yourself. You need the help of a professional HVAC technician to test the unit’s operations. Here are some tips for DIY AC condenser cleaning applications:
- Read the manual – If you follow this tip, you can avoid a lot of mistakes. If you’re not fond of reading instructions manual, it’s time you do it to save money, time and effort in mistakes. If you do it right based on manufacturer’s instructions, you can save yourself from headaches.
- Protect yourself carefully with gloves, eye protection, etc. Make sure you use a condenser coil cleaner. If your AC is a split type unit, you’ll find an evaporator coil and a condenser coil. Remember that you cannot interchange cleaners, and if you use the wrong one, chances are, you can damage your coils.
- In AC condenser cleaning, don’t ever use a power washer to clean your condenser. It can bend and severely damage the coil fins. Moreover, it can restrict the air flow to the extent of destroying it.
- Avoid using coil cleaners because they areharsh on your coils. You can simply use a brush, an ordinary shop vacuum and a garden hose to clean your coils. If you notice that they don’t get clean enough with brushing and water, then, you can get a commercial coil cleaner.
- Get an idea about your coils. There are one-piece coils, and some are 2 pieces that are laid back to back. Clean them thoroughly. especially the middle portion. See if they’re coated, and if they are, look for cleaners that can be used for that type of coating. Make sure that you get the right one.
If you need expert services on AC condenser cleaning, you can search online. There are sites that offer flat rates on materials and labor for this job. Try them!