How refreshing is it to soak your body in the bathtub especially during warm weather. But it is depressing when you can’t use it due to a clogged bathtub drain. All you can do is scratch your head and think of an immediate solution. Since this is your first time to experience this problem, you want the help of a professional plumber, but you’re worried that he might charge you too much since you’re on a tight budget. After researching, you feel confident that you can do it yourself.
DIY bathtub drain clogged:
- Take out the drain cover and clear the area below the drain’s surface. Can you see some fallen hair that has accumulated beneath the drain?
- With the use of “The Drain Claw” and a bent wire hanger, clear the clogs in depth. Pull out all the hair and any particles that caused your drain to clog. The most effective and easiest way to remove hair in a clogged bathtub drain is through the use of the “The Drain Claw” tool. Simply insert it into the drain, and you can work your way at the opening or stopper while giving it a twist.
- Pour some hot water into the drain. This is only applicable if the bathtub drain clogged is not full. Wait 10 to 15 minutes. Then, use the plunger to push the water down.
- Mix 1/3 content of baking soda in a cup with 1/3 vinegar content in a pitcher or bowl. Pour the content of the container quickly into the drain to get the full effect of the mixture.
- Now, fill your tub with sufficient amount of hot water that can cover the clog. Use the plunger several times until the clog has fully subsided.
- If you can’t still remove the clog, it’s time to use a “snake” tool that you can buy in any hardware store. It can reach as far as 15 to 25 feet beneath the pipes to collect debris.
- Another option is to use a shop vacuum. This will draw out all debris upward into the water trap and suck it into the vacuum. It is easier this way to clear the clog than to push it down.
Remember not to use any chemicals unless you have consulted a professional plumber. If you’re on a tight budget, you can try an expert on bathtub drain clogged offering a flat rate on materials and labor.