Many people are not aware of an air conditioning tune up that should be done regularly. They think that there is no maintenance needed as long as the unit is running efficiently. They will just be alarmed when the equipment suddenly breaks down. If you own an AC unit, you should know that a regular tune up is essential to keep your air conditioner working efficiently, and save from high cost of major repair.
Some technicians advice you to have a tune up, but they don’t explain what an average tune up is compared to a high quality one. They claim to check, adjust, reset, or modify your AC unit back to its original form. But how do you know if they have done the right thing if after a few days, you’re having troubles again with your unit?
What a quality air conditioning tune up should include
- Measure the airflow of the system for capacity and efficiency. Air conditioners mostly require at least 400 cfm of air in order to operate at capacity.
- Clean the condenser to increase capacity. This procedure involves spraying the outdoor unit with a foam cleanser, and soak for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Measure indoor wet bulb, dry bulb and outdoor dry bulb. After this, the technician will use a sliding chart to plot them to determine the required super heat which is a standard HVAC measurement that sets out proper refrigerant charge.
- Clean the evaporator coil to improve efficiency.
- Lubricate all the important parts to decrease wear.
- Adjust the Freon charge.
- Calibrate the thermostat.
- Inspect all duct work to check on air leaks.
What is the cost of air conditioning tune up?
Most HVAC companies will charge you $59 for a quality tune up, and it may be more for others. But how can you be sure that it’s really quality if they will only pull the blower wheels and clean them? Better browse the internet, and look for companies that charge flat rate for materials and labor.
For optimum performance of your unit, have an air conditioning tune up every season. This will provide you with big savings on energy and money, as well as keep your AC unit in good working condition. Don’t wait until your unit breaks down due to lack of proper maintenance. Save yourself from high cost of repair or in worst case, replacement for a new one. These tips can help you a lot!