But What if I Can Access My Unit?
Attempting to maintain your own air conditioning unit may end up causing problems in the long run, considering some parts are delicate or require special cleaning methods.
- Cause or worsen leaks
- Expose yourself to freon, a dangerous chemical
- Put the unit back together improperly
- Damage the fins on the compressor
But My Air Conditioner Is Fine!
Even if you haven’t had any problems with your unit, it’s important to make sure you get regular air conditioning maintenance.
- Without regular maintenance, you’re losing efficiency
- You may not even realize your energy bills are going up
- Your air conditioner may seem fine, but not be at peak potential
When Should I Get My Air Conditioner Maintained?
The short answer is before the hotter months come. You want to make sure to get air conditioning maintenance before you start using it. Schedule an appointment as soon as possible because sometimes the hot months sneak up on us.
You should also get your air conditioner maintained if:
- You suspect a freon leak
- Your air conditioner runs but doesn’t cool the house
- Your foundation has shifted
What Will a Professional Do?
Some things that a professional might do for your maintenance are:
- Clean your evaporator
- Maintain your condenser
- Check your refrigerant
- Check for leaks
- Replace old hoses
How Much Will It Cost?
Generally, it should cost you about $80. But remember that you’ll be saving on energy bills and your unit will last longer. In the long run, you’re saving.