The heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system is usually the most expensive piece of equipment in your house. A complete and thorough spring air conditioning maintenance call is extremely important to keep the system running reliably, safely and efficiently.
An air conditioning maintenance call in the spring will pay for itself by saving you money on repairs and on utility bills and will keep you and your family comfortable all summer long.
Here is a list of items that a professional HVAC technician will inspect on your system:
- Examine and replace, as necessary, all air filters
- Check accuracy of thermostat and replace battery
- Clear all drain lines and rinse with a mold inhibiting agent
- Examine all electrical connections for fraying or other damage and ensure that they are secure
- Examine all blower belts for slackness and replace if necessary
- Oil or apply silicone to appropriate machine parts
- Inspect all ductwork for crimps or other damage and ensure that there are no leaks
- Clean the condenser coils
- Check refrigerant lines for leakage
- Check and recharge refrigerant levels
Each of these steps may seem minor but the combination of them will result in a smooth functioning air conditioning unit that will surpass its expected useful life and provide the most affordable service. Air conditioning maintenance should not be left to the last minute. A spring maintenance call can be done at your leisure while the days are still cool.
This may not be the case during the summer. Obviously, summer is the peak time for AC use and HVAC companies and their technicians are ordinarily very busy. If you have a complete breakdown of your system, you may have to endure a few days of the summer heat before you can get your AC fixed.
In short, a little precautionary maintenance will go a long way towards guaranteeing a safe and comfortable summer season.