There’s nothing more important to the proper functioning and continued reliability of your high efficiency HVAC unit than a regular, professionally conducted maintenance visit. A professional HVAC technician has an AC maintenance checklist. He uses this AC maintenance checklist to ensure the greatest comfort, the lowest operating costs and the absolute safety of your HVAC equipment.
Of course, a homeowner can conduct some periodic checks of his HVAC equipment and probably eliminate a routine service call. It is imperative, however, that a licensed HVAC professional with the proper tools, expertise and experience conduct an AC maintenance checklist similar to this one.
The Professional Grade AC Maintenance Checklist
- Determine the accuracy of the thermostat
- Check all interior and exterior air filters and replace as needed
- Inspect the thermostat and battery
- Remove and clean any debris from the drain line and condensate pan
- Inhibit mold formation by rinsing the drain line dilute with a dilute mixture of water and bleach
- Inspect and clean evaporator coil
- Examine refrigerant lines for leaks and recharge if needed
- Inspect and secure all electrical connections
- Check all blower belts for excessive slack
- Lubricate all bearings and motors
- Check ducts for leakage
- Check that the voltage of the condenser is within acceptable limits
Regardless of how thorough an AC maintenance checklist is, it cannot replace the experienced eye of a trained professional AC technician. Years of experience will reveal potential problems that can be easily and affordably corrected now. Without this expertise, the homeowner will miss a problem that can be expensive to fix later on or even catastrophic for the HVAC system.
In short, you should schedule once or twice per year a routine AC maintenance. It will in the long run, save you time, money and aggravation.